Deontay Wilder taken to hospital after Tyson Fury defeat

Deontay Wilder skips post-fight press conference as Bronze Bomber is taken to hospital after suffering ear bleed in brutal defeat at the hands of Tyson Fury… as coach confirms former champion will need stitches for injury

  • Tyson Fury stunned Deontay Wilder to become the WBC heavyweight champion 
  • The Bronze Bomber was battered from pillar to post in a stunning performance 
  • Wilder, 35, missed the post-fight press conference as he was taken to hospital
  • The former champion suffered a nasty blow to the head and bled from the ear 

Deontay Wilder was a notable absence at the post-fight press conference after being taken to a local hospital following his heavy defeat at the hands of new heavyweight king Tyson Fury in Las Vegas on Saturday night.

The American was floored heavily by a blow to around the temple in the third round that caused blood to pour from him ear, the result of a potential ruptured ear drum.

Wilder went down again in the fifth round before his co-trainer Mark Breland threw in the towel midway through the seventh.

Deontay Wilder was taken to a local hospital following his heavy defeat to Tyson Fury 

Wilder was bleeding badly from his ear with his coach saying he may need stitches 

The Bronze Bomber was outclassed and suffered a bad beating to the new heavyweight king

Swelling was visible around Wilder’s jaw and eyes as referee Kenny Bayless intervened to bring proceedings to a halt.

The measure may well be precautionary as Wilder, now 42-1-1, was able to complete his post-fight interview in the ring immediately afterwards.

He said: ‘I’m doing good. Things like this happen. The best man won tonight, but my corner threw in the towel and I was ready to go out on my shield.

‘I had a lot of things going on heading into this fight. It is what it is, but I make no excuses tonight. I just wish my corner would have let me go out on my shield. I’m a warrior. He had a great performance and we will be back stronger.’

Wilder’s coach and promoter were in attendance while their fighter sought medical attention

Wilder’s trainer Jay Deas and promoter Shelly Finkel were in attendance at the press conference and insisted the former champion will pursue a trilogy fight, while providing an update on his medical condition.

‘Deontay is doing well, and he’ll be back, he’ll be all the better for it,’ Deas said. ‘He had a small cut inside the ear, may have affected his equilibrium, so he’s going to get a couple of stitches there. 

‘That’s really the extent of it. it was a tough, grueling fight with a tough, grueling fighter.’ 

Fury, now 30-0-1, is the new WBC champion after a dominant performance, adding the belt to his Ring magazine and lineal titles.

He joins fellow Brit Anthony Joshua – the IBF, WBO and WBA champion – as the leading heavyweight in the world.

The countrymen could face off as soon as later this year, however a clause in their fight contract means Wilder has the right to decide within 30 days whether to seek a third showdown with Fury to gain revenge for Saturday night’s loss, which would push a Fury-Joshua megafight back even further.


Source: Read Full Article