Dillian Whyte insists he wants to fight Anthony Joshua next rather than wait for the winner of Tyson Fury vs Deontay Wilder, despite the WBO ordering AJ to take on mandatory challenger Oleksandr Usyk
- Dillian Whyte has revealed he wants his next fight to be against Anthony Joshua
- Joshua is looking for his next opponent after his Tyson Fury showdown flopped
- The WBO has ordered Joshua to fight mandatory challenger Oleksandr Usyk next
- But AJ’s promoter Eddie Hearn has said he would seek the best deal for his client
Dillian Whyte has seemingly called out Anthony Joshua, insisting he wants to take on the heavyweight champion now rather than wait for the winner of Tyson Fury vs Deontay Wilder.
Joshua and Fury looked likely to compete in a blockbuster British unification fight in Saudi Arabia this summer after months of drawn out negotiations.
However, an arbitration hearing ruled earlier this month that Wilder had a right to a third fight with Fury after he lost their second clash in February 2020.
Dillian Whyte wants to fight Anthony Joshua next, not the winner of Tyson Fury vs Deontay Wilder
They will now go toe-to-toe in Las Vegas on July 24 while Joshua appears poised to fight Ukrainian Oleksandr Usyk instead.
Whyte’s victory over Alexander Povetkin in March secured him the WBC’s interim-world title, but a shot at challenging current WBC champion Fury is unlikely to occur this calendar year.
Instead, Whyte has now thrown his name into the list of possible opponents for Joshua.
The Body Snatcher’s trainer Xavier Miller posted on Instagram on Monday: ‘We want Wilder v Fury 3 winner.’
But Whyte quickly commented on the post saying that was not his intention, writing: ‘I want AJ now next.’
It appears likely that Joshua will fight Usyk next after being ordered to by the WBO. They have until May 31 to strike a deal or their purse bids will be cancelled.
Whyte is not the only fighter who wants a piece of Joshua though, with his old nemesis Andy Ruiz Jnr telling promoter Eddie Hearn he’s keen for a third showdown.
Joshua reclaimed his WBA, WBO, IBF and IBO belts by beating Ruiz in December 2019 after being shocked by the Mexican six months earlier.
Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder will compete for a third time in Las Vegas later this summer
Andy Ruiz Jnr has told Eddie Hearn that he wants to go toe-to-toe with Joshua again soon
Despite being ordered to fight Usyk, Hearn insisted he would seek the best deal for Joshua, whether that be a clash with the Ukrainian or another opponent, and listed Ruiz and Whyte as possible options.
He told iFL TV: ‘In an ideal world, if there’s good business to be done with Oleksandr Usyk, it’s got to be good business for him as well, that’s the fight next.
‘I wouldn’t rule out any scenario at the moment for Anthony Joshua.
‘We’ve probably got 10 days to decide what we’re going to do.
‘There’s quite a few (options). If you’re going to America, he’s already messaged me, it’s like deja vu, Andy Ruiz.
‘He messaged me on Instagram and said: “I’m ready, let’s do this, AJ v Ruiz three”.
‘That’s a fight I think we’d be interested in, if you’re going to America, Luis Ortiz is another guy you could fight.
‘If you’re doing the UK, I don’t know… Dillian Whyte, that’s a fight to make.’
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article