Fury's ankles 'were all messed up' in lead up to fight, claims trainer

‘His ankles, they were all messed up’: Tyson Fury’s trainer SugarHill Steward claims Gypsy King went into his rematch with Deontay Wilder INJURED… before dominant display secured knockout victory in Las Vegas

  • Tyson Fury’s trainer revealed that the fighter was faced with injuries in his camp
  • SugarHill Steward, who joined the camp for the Wilder rematch, gave insight
  • He described how Fury’s ankles ‘were all messed up’ in lead up to the fight 

Tyson Fury’s trainer SugarHill Steward claimed the newly-crowned WBC heavyweight champion went into his rematch with Deontay Wilder with a host of injuries. 

Fury was sensational from the start against his American rival and was crowned the victor once Wilder’s corner threw the towel in in the seventh round. 

But Steward has now revealed that all was not well in the build-up to the fight for Fury.   

Tyson Fury claimed the WBC heavyweight championship title via knockout on Saturday night

Fury’s trainer SugarHill Steward (right) has since claimed his fighter was injured during camp

‘We had injuries in camp. Tyson hurt his ankles, they were all messed up – they have pictures of that – he suffered a cut in training camp,’ he told ESPN.

‘He was spotted limping at the UFC thing, so Tyson Fury’s the one with all the injuries.’

As well as the ankle issues, Steward detailed how he had issues with his elbow and shoulder and that he ‘wasn’t even getting hit to the head in training camp’.  

Fury was dominant as he showed an aggressive new style since joining forces with Steward

Deontay Wilder was overwhelmed and it was assumed he was the fighter going in with injuries

Steward was brought into Fury’s camp ahead of the rematch after the Briton parted with Ben Davison at the end of 2019.  

Victory ensured Fury has now won each of the four major world heavyweight titles during his career having claimed held the belts after his win over Wladimir Klitschko in Germany in 2015.  

While Fury is ken to unify the division, Wilder is ready to trigger his option on a rematch, setting up a trilogy fight between the two of them.  

But on Tuesday the immediate focus was on resting as the Gypsy King touched down at Manchester Airport with wife Paris. 

He was greeted by the press while receiving a police escort and Fury waved to fans as he made his way through the arrivals lounge alongside armed officers following his long 12-and-a-half hour flight. 

Fury touched down in Manchester Airport on Tuesday morning and will now rest up his body

Steward claimed ankle, elbow and shoulder issues hindered the fighter in the fight’s build-up

As per the contract penned before the duo faced off for the WBC heavyweight world title, the loser would be able to secure another rematch within 30 days of the clash.

Fury, as the winner of the second bout, would be entitled to a 60/40 percentage split of all the money on the line for the fight, plus the earnings from PPV and ticket sales.

His emphatic victory inside seven rounds also reignited talk of a potential all-British unification bout with Anthony Joshua. 

Share this article

Source: Read Full Article