Tyson Fury's promoter Frank Warren has slammed Eddie Hearn for claiming his team is to blame for the collapse of Fury's fight with Anthony Joshua in August.
Arbitration brought by Deontay Wilder ordered the current WBC champion to organise a trilogy with the American, which will now take place on July 24, meaning the August 14 Saudi Arabian undisputed bout has been shelved.
And while Joshua's promoter has claimed that the fight was ruined by poor practice on the Fury side, Warren has rebuked these accusations, saying that judge Daniel Weinstein was annoyed by Hearn's daily updates on the fight being '100 per cent' done.
“At the start of the year, all parties involved in the fight – fighters, promoters, managers – signed a contract as to how the negotiations would take place," Warren told Seconds Out.
“In that agreement there was a clause that made it very clear there was an arbitration situation going on as far as Tyson is concerned – so everyone was aware of it and that we were awaiting the outcome of that.
“There was another clause in there regarding confidentiality and that we would make announcements together, so that we would all be on the same page.
“Within a very short space of time, Eddie Hearn breached that agreement by making announcements – every week there was something, announcements about announcements, the fight is done and so forth.
“That was totally untrue. The fight wasn't done, it wasn't signed and every time I did an interview I just said the truth, and all these announcements, that were being made on a regular basis by Hearn.
"I don't think that helped and it caused a lot of confusion.”
Hearn said he was told by Fury's other promoter – Top Rank boss Bob Arum – that should Wilder win the arbitration case he would be awarded damages, as opposed to having a third fight forced through.
He also said that there was an option for Fury to terminate the contract last December, having seen their July and October trilogy plans delayed by the coronavirus pandemic.
But it now appears Fury will face Wilder one last time at the Allegiant Stadium this summer while Joshua may end up fighting in the UK against mandatory challenger Oleksandr Usyk.
Warren also claimed that Usyk's position as WBO mandatory would have been a sticking point, even if Fury won the arbitration case last week.
He added: “Usyk had written to the WBO, and subsequently all parties concerned, saying that they will be suing if the fight goes ahead.
“So even if we had won the arbitration we would still be sued by Usyk, there would have been an action and they would have been looking for injunctions to stop it.
“So that wasn't dealt with or brought to anybody's attention. Pot, kettle and all that from Hearn.
“One minute he is telling everybody I'm not involved at all in the negotiations – and now it is my fault.”
Source: Read Full Article