Manny Pacquiao confident he CAN fight twice in 2021 at age of 42 despite not stepping into the ring since beating Keith Thurman in July 2019 to become WBA welterweight champion
- Legendary fighter Manny Pacquiao is refusing to give up on the sport of boxing
- The Filipino turns 42 on December 17 and yet he is working towards more fights
- Pacquiao has been set back by Covid-19 pandemic but eyes two fights in 2021
WBA welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao believes he has enough left in the tank to fight twice in 2021, despite preparing to turn 42 this month.
The veteran Filipino fighter has not stepped into the ring since capturing the WBA title with a split-decision win over Keith Thurman in Las Vegas in July 2019.
With crowds being kept away, or severely limited, and Pacquiao currently busy with his work as a Senator in the Philippines, his focus is already on April and beyond.
Manny Pacquiao is confident he can partake in two 2021 fights despite turning 42 next month
‘We still have sessions in March so there’s no way I am going to fight during that time,’ Pacquiao told Filipino newspaper Daily Tribune.
‘I think I can do two [fights] next year.’
Pacquiao’s name still carries huge weight in the sport and he will not be short of offers to fight if he is set on getting back into the ring.
Terence Crawford defeated Brit Kell Brook in four rounds last month to retain his WBO welterweight title and also maintain his perfect 37-0 record.
Pacquiao (right) has not set foot in a boxing ring since defeating Keith Thurman in July 2019
The two were provisionally set to meet in the Middle East but those plans were shelved amid the coronavirus pandemic.
Crawford, 33, wants to revisit talks with ‘Pacman’ as he aims to add the WBA strap to his waist.
Crawford said after beating Brook: ‘I already said who I want. I want Pacquiao. I want to revisit that fight. That was a fight that should’ve happened right now.
‘But being that the pandemic happened, and they weren’t going to allow fans in the Middle East, they had to put a hold to that. Everything was 95 per cent done. We had the venue. The money was almost there.’
Another talked up fight involving the Filipino is against UFC star Conor McGregor.
His manager Audie Attar, of Paradigm Sports Management, expects McGregor to fight Pacquiao – who he also represents – as both men are keen to fight each other.
WBO welterweight champion Terence Crawford is determined to land a contest with Pacquiao
The Filipino is the WBA welterweight champion and finds himself in demand for opponents
‘He wants to fight Manny. Manny’s come out and said he wants to fight Conor. As I’ve stated publicly before, we’ve had conversations,’ he told Bloomberg.
‘That is a fight that we’re definitely going to make because both fighters want it, and there seems to be interest from the fans all around the world.’
McGregor has not competed in a boxing match since he famously took on Floyd Mayweather in 2017.
The Irish MMA star lost out to the American boxing legend in Nevada but still pocketed around £100million from the high-profile fight.
A statement from Pacquiao’s team read: ‘For the sake of all the Filipino Covid-19 victims, Senator Manny Pacquiao will be fighting UFC superstar Conor McGregor next year.
‘The huge portion of his earnings will proceed to those who are affected nationwide by the pandemic.’
Conor McGregor has talked up a high-profile return to boxing so he can fight Pacquiao
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article