Cameron Smith blasts Broncos for $800k contract blunder

Melbourne Storm icon Cameron Smith has blasted the Brisbane Broncos for failing to secure the signature of former teammate Nicho Hynes.

On Wednesday, the Cronulla Sharks confirmed the signing of Hynes on a three-year contract, suggested to be worth $1.8 million.

Watch The 2021 NRL Telstra Premiership Live & On-Demand with No Ad-Breaks During Play. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >

The coup came after Brisbane reportedly put forward a considerably less enticing offer for the out-of-contract fullback — a three-year deal worth $1 million.

Speaking to SEN, Smith suggested the Broncos are in no position to be lowballing high-profile players with “heavy unders” offers.

Brisbane clinched the unwanted wooden spoon last year and currently sits 15th on the NRL ladder with three wins from 13 games.

“For me, I just feel as though that is heavy unders for a guy that has proven that he is a quality playmaker,” Smith said. “He is leading the competition for linebreak assists. He is in the top three for try assists.

“This is all from a player playing in a team with quality players. So he is a player that is shining in a team with plenty of bright stars.

“So for a club like the Broncos, who we all know aren’t travelling that great at the moment … they have publicly said that they are looking for a playmaker and a guy in a key role to lead the team forward.”

Nicho Hynes has more linebreak assists than any other player in the NRL this year.Source:Getty Images

Hynes boasts the most linebreak assists in the NRL this year with 16, one ahead of superstar playmakers Nathan Cleary and Mitchell Moses.

The 24-year-old has scored six tries for the Storm since making his NRL debut in 2019.

“I have got no idea why they would offer a bloke like Nicho Hynes $300,000 (per year),” Smith said. “They are not in a position to offer a guy like that $300,000 a season.

“He went for $600,000. He went for $1.8 million for three years at Cronulla. For me, that is exactly where he is at right now.

“If he keeps moving on the trajectory that he has been moving over the last season and a half in the future, he could turn into an $800,000 to possibly that $1 million player.

“I know that is a big tag to give someone, but that is the way he is moving at the moment.

“For someone like the Broncos who are chasing a player like that I just can’t believe that would be an offer that they would table to Nicho Hynes.”

Broncos head coach Kevin Walters.Source:Getty Images

The Broncos have come under fire for letting a plethora of rising stars slip through their fingers, including Warriors young gun Reece Walsh, halfback Tom Dearden and playmaker Sam Walker.

Meanwhile, Jamayne Isaako and Tevita Pangai Jr have held talks with Wests Tigers coach Michael Maguire.

“I’m surprised the Broncos didn’t land (Hynes). It’s another faux pas from them,” Newcastle legend Johns told SEN Breakfast on Wednesday.

“If I was the Broncos I would have come out and said here’s 650-700 (thousand a year) and let’s go. Instead they’ve let him slip through their fingers and Cronulla have snapped him up.

“It’s a good payday for him, and he’s going to be a guaranteed starter. He’s such a great young bloke, he’s had real challenges in his life.”

— with Tyson Otto

Source: Read Full Article