Horrifying update: NRL star in induced coma

Sharks star Andrew Fifita is reportedly in an induced coma after being rushed to hospital on Sunday night.

The club earlier confirmed the former NSW State of Origin star suffered a serious throat injury during his team’s loss to Newcastle on Sunday.

The 32-year-old was rushed to hospital in an ambulance after a collision with Knights star Tyson Frizell early in the second half.

The club has confirmed via a statement that Fifita suffered a “significant” laryngeal injury.

According to reports he experienced breathing difficulties and was treated by paramedics at Moreton Daily Stadium in Redcliffe after first being taken into the Cronulla dressing room to receive treatment from the club’s medical team.

He was spotted near the fence of the field behind the goal posts being looked at by paramedics 20 minutes after the game, according to AAP.

After being assessed by paramedics, Fifita was rushed to hospital.

The club has confirmed Fifita’s wife Nikki has travelled to be by his bedside in hospital.

Reports claim Fifita’s condition has developed further, revealing he has been placed into an induced coma to assist with his breathing.

The Sydney Morning Herald reports severe swelling of the larynx prompted a decision to put him into an induced coma.

He remains in a stable condition inside the Royal Brisbane Hospital’s intensive care unit.

He is expected to have surgery and will reportedly be brought out of the coma as early as Monday night.

Andrew Fifita (on ground) of the Sharks is seen surrounded by medical staff on the field. AAP injury.Source:AAP

The Sharks’ earlier statement said: “The Sharks can confirm that Andrew Fifita suffered an injury to his throat, following an incident early in the second half of today’s match against Newcastle.

“After the match Andrew reported difficulty swallowing. He was also noted to have a hoarse voice at this time and his care was escalated to the paramedics with a suspected laryngeal injury.

“He was taken via ambulance to hospital, where a significant laryngeal injury was confirmed.

“Andrew remains in hospital, where he is receiving the best possible care. The Sharks will provide further updates when they become available.”

Fifita earlier also needed to be medically assessed for a tackle in the first half which left him needing to be taken from the field to undergo a Head Injury Assessment (HIA).

He was able to return to the field in the second half before he was taken from the field as a result of his contact with Frizell.

Source: Read Full Article