‘I don’t want to talk about football’: Carlo Ancelotti REFUSES to answer journalist’s question about Real Madrid’s loss to Valencia and defends Vinicius Jnr after he was subjected to racist abuse
- Vinicius Jnr was subjected to racist chants during Madrid’s match at Valencia
- Madrid manager Ancelotti insisted on discussing the racist abuse post match
- Ancelotti claimed Spanish football needs to ‘act forcefully’ to combat racism
Carlo Ancelotti refused to discuss Real Madrid’s loss against Valencia in his post-match interview, with the Italian instead focusing on the racist abuse suffered by Vinicius Jnr on Sunday night.
Vinicius was sent off during Madrid’s 1-0 defeat at the Mestalla Stadium, which was marred by alleged racist chanting from home supporters.
The 22-year-old winger was subjected to alleged racist abuse before and during the game, and reacted by lashing out at Hugo Duro during a melee in added time.
Despite appearing to be put in a headlock before striking his opponent, Vinicius was the only player sent off following the incident, and was visibly upset as he left the pitch, looking up the stands with tears in his eyes.
Ancelotti was asked about the match in an interview with Spanish broadcaster Movistar, with the Madrid boss instead using the time to address the abuse suffered by Vinicius.
Carlo Ancelotti refused to discuss Real Madrid’s defeat against Valencia and instead shifted the focus onto alleged racist abuse suffered by Vinicius Jnr
The Madrid boss admitted he considered substituting Vinicius Jnr amid the racist abuse
Vinicius appeared to point out a fan that was directing racist abuse at him during the game
‘I don’t want to talk about football, I want to about what happened here,’ Ancelotti said.
‘We have a problem. La Liga has a problem. We need to stop this game. Any game. I would say the same thing if we were winning 3-0.
‘I have never seen a whole stadium being racist and shouting ‘monkey, monkey, monkey.’
The reporter then said ‘Yeah but what about his own reaction,’ with Ancelotti declaring ‘There is no but, there is no but.’
In his press conference Ancelotti revealed he had asked Vinicius whether he wanted to keep playing, admitting he had considered substituting the forward amid the abuse.
‘I think it’s bad that I even had to think about substituting off a player because the atmosphere was racist,’ Ancelotti said.
‘I should be taking players off if they don’t play well or for rest, but never because they were the subject of racist abuse. What happened today I have seen other times, but not quite like this.
‘The Spanish league has a problem. The problem isn’t Vinícius. He is the victim.’
Ancelotti said he told the referee to ‘stop the match’ after Vinicius was abused from the stands
Vinicius was sent off during added time at the end of the match following a melee
Ancelotti also clashed with a Spanish reporter who suggested the Valencia supporters had chanted ‘stupid’ at Vinicius Jr, rather than monkey.
‘They were saying monkey, not stupid,’ Ancelotti said. ‘The referee stopped the game to open the racism protocols. If a stadium chants stupid then you don’t need to open the protocols.
‘Talk with the referee because he stopped the game because of this.’
In a social media post, Ancelotti wrote ‘Today has been a sad day at Mestalla, where a group of fans have shown their worst version.
‘It is time to stop talking and act forcefully. Racism cannot have a place in football or in society. NO TO RACISM ANYWHERE.’
It is not the first time Vinicius has been targeted by racist abuse this season, and the Brazilian took to Twitter afterwards to declare that Spanish football has reached a new low after previously having a league that was the envy of Europe.
He has had to put up with racism from rival fans on numerous occasions this season, with arguably the most high-profile incident coming when his team faced arch-rivals Atletico Madrid in September.
Atletico supporters allegedly called him a ‘monkey’ when the sides faced each other at the Wanda Metropolitano Stadium, but a Spanish prosecutor later concluded that the chants ‘did not constitute a crime’ as they ‘lasted only a few seconds’.
Ancelotti called for ‘forceful action’ to be taken against racism in a post on social media
Vinicius has slammed LaLiga president Javier Tebas for his failure to deal with racism
Vinicius was targeted by further racist chants from Valladolid fans in January, and Mallorca and Osasuna supporters the following month.
This led to LaLiga filing complaints to the courts, with Atletico forward Alvaro Morata calling for those responsible to be banned for life from attending matches.
Vinicius, who has provided 23 goals and 21 assists in 53 games across all competitions this season, posted a picture on his Instagram following the match.
‘It wasn’t the first time, not the second and not the third,’ he wrote.
‘Racism is normal in La Liga. The competition thinks it’s normal, so does the Federation and the opponents encourage it. I am soo sorry .
‘The championship that once belonged to Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Cristiano and Messi, today belongs to the racists. A beautiful nation, which welcomed me and I love, but which accepted to export the image to the world from a racist country.
‘Sorry for the Spaniards who do not agree, but today, in Brazil, Spain is known as a country of racists.
‘And unfortunately with everything that happens on a weekly basis, I have no way to defend. I agree.
‘But I’m strong and will go to the end against the racists. Even though its far from here.’
Vinicius has been targeted with racist abuse on multiple occasions during the season
Meanwhile, Valencia have issued a public statement ‘condemning insults and attacks of all kinds in football’ following the incident.
‘Valencia CF wish to publicly condemn insults and attacks of all kinds in football,’ the statement read.
‘The club have a firm commitment to the values of respect and sportsmanship, and reiterate our position against physical and verbal violence in stadiums. Thus, we are saddened by the events that occurred during the LaLiga Matchday 35 match against Real Madrid.
‘Although this is an isolated episode, insults to any opposing player have no place in football and do not fit with the values and identity of Valencia CF. The club are investigating what occurred and will take the most severe measures against the perpetrators. Valencia CF also condemn any offence and request the utmost respect for our fans.
‘Whilst strongly denouncing these isolated incidents, Valencia CF would like to thank the more than 46,000 fans in attendance for their support for the team.’
Source: Read Full Article
Liverpool star Curtis Jones snaps back at fan after ‘nanny’s carpet’ dig
Spurs star hits back after Premier League rivals mock him over goal celebrations
Real Madrid target Kane in £100MILLION race for his signature
Man Utd boss Erik ten Hag has found his next No 7 despite Man City defeat
Julian Nagelsmann holds talks over becoming the new Napoli manager