‘I didn’t realise how big a challenge it was going to be’: David Beckham opens up on struggle to set up Inter Miami as legendary owner discusses new team at MLS launch
- David Beckham discussed his Inter Miami team at Wednesday’s MLS launch
- The former Manchester United and Real Madrid star admitted it was ‘a challenge’
- Despite difficulties, Beckham never considered walking away from the project
David Beckham admitted that he ‘didn’t realise how big a challenge it was going to be’ to establish Inter Miami as the latest club in Major League Soccer.
The legendary co-owner and president, speaking at the 2020 MLS launch on Wednesday, opened up on the difficulties to get to this point but remained adamant that he never once considered giving up.
‘It has been a long journey. But I always knew it would be worth it,’ he said.
David Beckham said the challenge of establishing Inter Miami was tougher than he thought
The process to get the side ready taught Beckham lots as he was all smiles at the MLS launch
‘I had a long and successful career in the game but I have always loved a challenge. I didn’t realise how big a challenge it was going to be. It took longer than I thought.
‘There were moments when I thought this might not happen, but there wasn’t a moment when I said I would walk away.’
Inter Miami are one of two MLS expansion teams being added for the 2020 season with Nashiville SC the other, taking the total number in the league to 26.
Beckham addressed the media ahead of the opening game against Los Angeles FC on Sunday
The process in getting everything sorted for the first game has dominated Beckham’s time and he admits he has learned about himself in the process.
‘I’m more persistent than I thought I was,’ he added. ‘And I’m more stubborn than my wife thinks I am.’
Beckham’s team will make history with their first ever MLS game on Sunday when they take on Los Angeles FC.
The ex-Los Angeles Galaxy midfielder was expected to make a number of marquee signings to kickstart the club’s first season.
But Beckham insisted earlier this week that he is happy with the squad at his disposal, despite Inter Miami failing to bring in a third designated player.
They have already acquired Matias Pellegrini and Rodolfo Pizarro ahead of their opener.
Beckham posed with the first-team players and staff at Inter Miami during a photoshoot
The former England captain talks with goalkeeper Luis Robles on the training ground
Miami confirmed last month that they had held talks over a shock move for Edinson Cavani, only for him to remain at PSG until the end of the season, while Luka Modric has also been targeted.
After posing for pictures with players and staff during a media day at Fort Lauderdale on Tuesday, he said, via Miami Herald: ‘I am not disappointed in any way possible because I know this has taken seven years.
‘A lot of you have seen those seven years unfold, there’s been some frustrating times, but someone turned around to me the other day and said: “What would be success for this team and this franchise?” For me, on March 14, when we step onto our stadium in front of our fans, for me, that’s success because I know what it’s taken to get here.
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article