Eight Tottenham players have been told they are free to find new clubs by Antonio Conte as they don't feature in his plans for the new season.
The animated Italian, 52, completed his sixth signing of the transfer window on Monday (July 18) with Championship starlet Djed Spence penning a five-year deal in north London. Spence is the latest to join Ivan Perisic, Fraser Forster, Yves Bissouma, Richarlison and Clement Lenglet through the door this summer as Conte plots for an outside shot at the Premier League title.
Whilst Spurs famously haven't claimed the top prize in English football since the 1960/61 campaign, Conte is a serial winner, bagging league titles at Inter Milan, Chelsea and Juventus – and there is a feeling he is building something special at Tottenham.
READ MORE: What happened to Spurs' 2013 splurge signings – from Saudi Arabia to Spanish second tier
Though the Lecce-born boss is renowned for his unyielding nature and whilst Spurs have only seen one prominent departure so far in the summer window, Steven Bergwijn's £27m switch to Ajax, Spence's arrival has sparked a mass exodus down Hotspur Way.
According to the Evening Standard, eight first-team players have been told they can leave the club before Deadline Day as they are not guaranteed game time by Conte. Harry Winks, Japhet Tanganga, Bryan Gil, Giovani Lo Celso, Sergio Reguilon, Matt Doherty, Emerson Royal and club-record signing Tanguy Ndombele have all been placed on the transfer list.
HAVE YOUR SAY! Can Antonio Conte end Tottenham's trophy hoodoo? Let us know in the comments section below
Newcastle United were seemingly leading the chase for Winks at the start of the window with Daniel Levy slapping a £25million price tag on his head but interest in the England international has now cooled.
Fellow midfielders Ndombele and Lo Celso were both shipped out on loan at Conte's earliest opportunity to Lyon and Villarreal respectively and, amid the arrival of the versatile Yves Bissouma, neither are expected to challenge for a starting berth next season.
Conte was only permitted two additions in the January window with Dejan Kulusevski and Rodrigo Bentancur both joining from Juventus but it wouldn't be over-exaggerating to say that the duo were the difference between Champions League qualification or another season outside of it.
With six already through the door, only Fraser Forster is expected to settle for a place on the bench with Perisic and Spence both starting at wing-back, leaving Doherty, Reguilon and Royal all in the hunt for a new club.
Antonio Conte says he didn't even pick new £20m signing Djed Spence in awkward admission
Worst football shirt numbers ever as Joao Cancelo takes Raheem Sterling's 7 for Man City
Barcelona slap asking price on Memphis Depay as Tottenham 'prepare bid'
Source: Read Full Article