Transfer news: Who could be on the move this summer?
When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Manchester United’s hopes of signing Kieran Trippier this summer appear to be growing ever stronger, with the England man set to add to Atletico Madrid’s quota of non-EU players in July due to Brexit, according to reports. The 30-year-old has been heavily linked with a move to Old Trafford in recent weeks as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer weighs up his options ahead of the new season.
The Norwegian boss is believed to be targeting a number of additions over the coming months, with a move for Borussia Dortmund star Jadon Sancho said to be in the works.
The Red Devils failed in their attempts to bring the 21-year-old to Old Trafford last summer, but are reportedly locked in negotiations with the Bundesliga heavyweights once again with the hope of pushing through a move this time around.
United are also looking to sign a new centre-back to partner Harry Maguire next season, with Villarreal’s Pau Torres and Raphael Varane of Real Madrid understood to be among Solskjaer’s priority targets.
However, it has been suggested that the 48-year-old is also keen to recruit a right-sided defender in order to provide Aaron Wan-Bissaka with some additional competition for his regular starting berth.
Trippier has been widely tipped to move back to England in the near future amid reports that he could be open to returning to his native North West.
JUST IN: Six centre-back transfer options to partner Harry Maguire in defence
United are said to have already seen a bid in the region of £10million rejected by Atletico, but it seems likely that an improved offer could soon be drawn up if the Red Devils are serious about securing his signature.
However, it appears as though the newly-crowned La Liga champions could eventually be pushed into parting ways with Trippier as an indirect consequence of Brexit.
As of July 1, the former Burnley and Tottenham full-back will no longer be considered a citizen of the EU which poses a problem for Atletico, according to Mundo Deportivo.
La Liga clubs are allowed to have three non-EU players within their ranks, with the Brexit legislation set to see Trippier join Felipe and Renan Lodi on the club’s list.
This means that if Atletico were to move for any targets from nations outside the EU, they would need to sacrifice one of their existing trio in order to comply with the Spanish regulations.
However, the club are said to be hopeful that an exception can be made for players that were signed before the UK’s withdrawal.
Atletico boss Diego Simeone is known to be a huge admirer of Trippier, with the player himself waxing lyrical over their relationship last year.
“I am absolutely loving it at the moment and that is the most important thing,” he said.
“The culture and the football are so different to England. La Liga is totally different to the Premier League.
“I had to improve on my defending and that was something I openly admitted last season. And now I know there is no one better to learn from than ‘Mister’.
“He is unbelievable with the team and individually. It is a joy to play for him.”
Source: Read Full Article