Man United: Dembele transfer ‘risk worth taking’ says pundit
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Manchester United have sent a ‘firm proposal’ to Barcelona star Ousmane Dembele as they look to sign the winger on a free transfer, according to reports. The France international’s contract at the Nou Camp expires in the summer. And, right now, the La Liga giants are unlikely to keep the forward.
Barcelona signed Dembele back in the summer transfer window of 2017, bringing him to Catalonia after he’d dazzled for Borussia Dortmund.
However, despite inheriting Neymar’s old No 11 shirt, the France international has failed to live up to expectations at the Nou Camp.
While that’s the case, Barcelona have been trying to tie Dembele down to a new contract in order to avoid losing him for nothing.
So far, though, their efforts to tie the player down have failed with the 24-year-old’s demands deemed too high.
Dembele wants an annual salary of £25million and a separate signing bonus of £25m, while his agent is demanding a commission of £13m.
These demands, according to Sport, have been deemed ‘crazy’ by the Barcelona hierarchy.
THINK YOU KNOW SPORT? Test your sporting knowledge with our tricky quiz
And it’s stated United and Juventus have both sent ‘firm proposals’ as they look to snap Dembele without having to pay a fee.
United were linked with Dembele back in the summer transfer window of 2020 as they failed to sign Jadon Sancho.
However, they were priced out of a deal by Barcelona leading to them to sign the likes of Amad and Facundo Pellistri instead.
Now, though, United may try and sign Dembele again.
Anthony Martial and Edinson Cavani could both leave Old Trafford in January, despite the latter starting the 3-1 win over Burnley on Thursday night.
Arteta can’t ignore glaring change needed at Arsenal
Man Utd staff conflicted over Ronaldo and Fernandes
Messi hits back at Barcelona over playing for free
Should the duo depart, that would free up space in the squad for a new attacker – and Dembele appears to be on their radar.
While United are keen, however, Juventus are said to have an agreement with the player’s agent Moussa Sissoko.
Barcelona, for their part, are unsure over what to do with Dembele.
They’re considering whether to sell him on the cheap in January so they at least bank a fee for the 2018 World Cup winner.
They may keep him around but not play him, too.
Or Barcelona could even let Dembele go for nothing next month to get him off the wage bill for the second half of the season.
Right now, all signs point to the France international quitting La Liga for a new challenge elsewhere.
And whether United can beat Juventus to the player’s signature is something only time will tell.
Meanwhile, United boss Ralf Rangnick was coy when asked about the possibility of January signings after his team’s win over Burnley on Thursday.
“My focus is on the current players,” Rangnick said on Amazon Prime.
“We have enough players in the squad, there is no lack of players.
“Transfer in the winter only make sense if they help you and really help the quality. So far we haven’t spoken about that. My focus has been on the current squad.’
United have a mixed record when it comes to January signings.
The likes of Nemanja Vidic, Patrice Evra and Bruno Fernandes have all been positive New Year additions over the past two decades.
Yet the likes of Zoran Tosic, Odion Ighalo and Manucho never made the grade under Sir Alex Ferguson.
Source: Read Full Article