Manchester United v Everton: Match in pictures
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Several Premier League clubs including Manchester United, Tottenham and Newcastle have been boosted by the government’s new quarantine rules. The respective clubs South American players will no longer be forced to quarantine following their return to England in the coming days after significant changes to the UK red list.
The changes mean United’s Edinson Cavani, Tottenham’s Argentine duo Giovani Lo Celso and Cristian Romero, Newcastle’s Miguel Almiron and Aston Villa’s Emi Martinez will not have to isolate for ten days, as was previously the case.
Uruguay, Argentina and Paraguay are among a number of South American countries to be removed from the list, which is now made up of just seven countries – Colombia, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Haiti, Panama, Peru and Venezuela.
Colombia remaining on the red list means Spurs defender Davinson Sanchez and Everton’s Yerry Mina must undergo mandatory quarantine and so will Brighton’s Jeremy Sarmiento, who represents Ecuador.
However, the latest announcement is not without its complications for returning players.
JUST IN: Man Utd duo Paul Pogba and Bruno Fernandes criticised and told to copy Cristiano Ronaldo
Brazil played their first of three qualifiers this month in Colombia, meaning those coming back must quarantine, despite their own nation coming off the red list.
That means nine players from the Premier League will be unavailable for this weekend’s games after representing Brazil.
Among those are Manchester City goalkeeper Ederson, Liverpool’s Alisson, Chelsea’s Thiago Silva and United defensive midfielder Fred.
City forward Gabriel Jesus, Liverpool’s Fabinho, Leeds United’s Raphinha and Villa’s Douglas Luiz are the other names who will be unavailable.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer could get the Man Utd sack because of Newcastle takeover
Chelsea keeper Edouard Mendy’s Ballon d’Or snub leaves Kalidou Koulibaly furious
Raheem Sterling sets out Man City demands amid Newcastle and Arsenal links
However, with the final round of qualifiers in October set to take place on Thursday night and Friday morning UK time, there are no guarantees that those who have been in South America will take part in the Premier League this weekend anyway.
Spurs were set to fly their four South American players home on a private jet ahead of their clash with Newcastle on Sunday, but that could all change now.
Chelsea boss Thomas Tuchel criticised FIFA last week for their international schedule and insisted his side have been left in an impossible situation following Silva’s call-up.
“He will go and then he will play for Brazil and then he will come back on the matchday versus Brentford,” Tuchel said.
“This is the life of international breaks, this is the situation of international breaks in 2021.
“Like it or not, what can I do? Is it a good solution for us as a club? No. But we cannot hold him back.
“It is impossible if they call him, he needs to go. Otherwise he gets suspended from FIFA.
“There is no choice and it is something we have to live with.”
Source: Read Full Article