Mike Ashley ‘expecting green light’ for long-awaited £300m Newcastle takeover

Mike Ashley is confident he will be given the 'green light' to finally sell Newcastle United.

The unpopular Toon owner believes a £300m takeover from a Saudi-Arabian backed consortium will get the go-ahead after months of trying to sell the club.

Ashley, who took over the club in 2007, previously came close to a sale last year but a deal was blocked after failing to pass Premier League tests.

The 56-year-old Sports Direct chief has been open to selling the club for some time and could finally get his wish according to the latest reports.

The Sun claim that the Saudi-Arabian consortium, headed by Amanda Staveley, are ready to push ahead with takeover plans.

It is even noted that Ashley is so assured of the deal that he has told the consortium that they should be ready to go by the end of the month.

The Saudi Arabia consortium agreed a £300m deal to buy the Toon club last April before the Premier League took months to sanction a sale due to a failure to establish links between the group and Saudi state.

The Premier League's delay eventually led to the consortium, which includes Saudi Arabia's sovereign wealth fund PIF, PCP Capital Partners and Reuben Brothers, walking away from the takeover.

Ashley was left unhappy after the failed deal and issued a rare statement after Newcastle were cleared of any wrongdoing after a HMRC tax probe.

"After four years of the club being subjected to this investigation, I am pleased it has now been discontinued," he said.

"It's now time for the dark forces that are preventing this football club from becoming the power house that the fans deserve, to step aside.”

And reports suggest a deal to finally sell Newcastle could be back on the cards for the maligned owner.

Ashley is currently embroiled in a legal battle with the Premier League and a hearing is scheduled at the Competition Appeal Tribunal next Friday.

It is added that a source close to Ashley says he is 'certain' he will win the case, which could then allow him to finally complete the £300m takeover with the Saudi Arabian consortium.

Source: Read Full Article