Paul Scholes has urged Manchester United not to make the same mistake they did with Erling Haaland and get a deal for Jadon Sancho over the line.
United’s pursuit of their priority summer transfer target was dealt an apparent blow on Monday when Michael Zorc, Dortmund’s sporting director, said Sancho would stay at the club.
“We plan on having Jadon Sancho in our team this season, the decision is final,” said Zorc, who also revealed that the winger’s contract lasts until 2023 – a year longer than previously thought.
Download the new Independent Premium app
Sharing the full story, not just the headlines
United are still hopeful of completing a deal for Sancho but are unhappy with the lack of progress in discussions, which Dortmund are conducting through a third party rather than directly.
The Independent understands that the two clubs are yet to reach an agreement on either the transfer fee, Sancho’s prospective salary or the fees to be paid to agents.
Scholes though believes United should press on and do whatever it takes to get a deal done.
“They’re just after a bit more money,” he said. “He looks a brilliant player and I think he’ll improve any team in world football with his assists and his goals.
“United were desperate for Haaland as well and they didn’t quite go that extra mile to pay the money.
“Will they do it for Sancho? I think they will, if Ole desperately wants him they’ll get him.”
Solskjaer refused to comment on the ongoing attempt to sign the England international after the win over Copenhagen.
“I can’t comment on other teams’ players. I never do.”
Source: Read Full Article