‘Surely this is too good to be true?’: Tottenham fans are left divided over reports that Iranian-American billionaire Jahm Najafi is lining up a £3bn takeover… with some desperate to be free of ENIC and Daniel Levy, while others are wary of being saddled with £620m of debt
- Billionaire Jahm Najafi is preparing a $3.75bn takover bid for Tottenham Hotspur
- The Iranian-American is working with a consortium to finalise the bid’s structure
- The group is expected to approach the Spurs hierarchy in the coming weeks
There was a mixed reaction from Tottenham supporters after reports emerged on Wednesday morning that Iranian-American billionaire Jahm Najafi is lining up a £3bn takeover of the club.
Najafi is reportedly preparing a group of investors to launch a $3.75bn (£3.1bn) takeover bid for Tottenham, according to two people with direct knowledge of the plans.
The Financial Times report that Najafi – who is chair of MSP Sports Capital – is working with a consortium to prepare the structure of the huge bid and the group is expected to approach Spurs owner Joe Lewis and chairman Daniel Levy in the coming weeks.
The bid is set to be factored so that Najafi and MSP would put forward 70 per cent of the capital, while others would contribute the remaining 30 per cent – with these backers likely to come from the Gulf, and particularly Abu Dhabi.
Naturally fans quickly took to social media to respond to the reports.
Many welcomed the news as it would see the end of the unpopular ownership of ENIC.
ENIC is connected to Lewis and Levy and they purchased a 26 per cent from Lord Alan Sugar for £21.9m back in 2000.
‘I can’t keep having hope likes this’, wrote one while another tweeted ‘please save us from the trenches.’
‘Surely this is too good to be true,’ asked another while some fans were fairly confident that it is.
‘Not sure this is the right move,’ wrote one while another said the Phoenix Suns owner and McLaren F1 stakeholder was a ‘serial loser’.
A £3.1bn bid for the club consists of the club’s equity being valued at approximately £2.5bn, before adding about £610m of the club’s current debts.
However, Sportsmail understands that Spurs are not the only club Najafi is interested in buying or has looked at – and that he is and has considered investing at another Premier League team too.
Source: Read Full Article
Rooney swore into camera and Man Utd icon Ferguson followed suit
Newcastle vs Man Utd: Famous moments before crunch Premier League game
Lewis Dunk does not want Brighton to pass up shot at European football
‘Katie Price used to turn up to Man Utd every week – and us players loved it’
Tottenham may have made costly mistake as major Kane concern flagged