Horse racing fans and Cheltenham goers have been buoyed by an update from the Prime Minister relating to the coronavirus outbreak.
The spread of the disease across Europe has caused sporting events all over the continent to be postponed or abandoned in recent weeks.
And speculation has been rife that the Cheltenham Festival could fall foul next week.
Punters began staking money on the four-day event being cancelled last week after British Horseracing Authority put contingencies in place to re-stage the Festival later in the season if it were deemed too risky to hold it at the usual time.
However, comments from Boris Johnson today have once again eased fears.
Coronavirus ‘threatens to KO Euro 2020 and Champions League’ as UEFA plan crunch talks
Juventus players in quarantine with training banned amid three coronavirus cases
Speaking after an emergency Cobra meeting, the PM said the spread of the coronavirus was likely to become "more significant" for the UK in the coming days.
But the closing of schools and banning of mass gatherings would only be taken on scientific advice, and added: "We cannot forget that the single most useful thing that we can all do to support the NHS is to wash our hands, two times to Happy Birthday, with hot water.
"It's very important that people should continue (doing) that and they should go about business as usual."
Arsenal and Spurs take coronavirus caution on training ground visitors
Reacting to the prime minister's comments, a BHA statement read: "Following its Cobra meeting, Government has today reiterated its position that business should continue as usual at present across the country, and that focus should continue to be placed on following its advice regarding controlling the spread of the disease.
"The industry's steering group is coordinating the sharing of this Government advice with the sport's participants.
Today's top sport stories on Daily Star
"The steering group remains in regular and ongoing contact with Government and continues to consider a wide range of scenarios in order that we are able to act quickly in case the situation should change."
The Festival now looks set to go ahead, despite increased fears more active coronavirus cases will be announced in the coming days.
Source: Read Full Article