The Everest winner Classique Legend could return to Sydney to continue his race career after a minor bleeding attack at Sha Tin trackwork on Wednesday morning.
Classique Legend’s owner Bon Ho told The Daily Telegraph that his brilliant sprinter won’t race at Sha Tin on Monday and was out of the Group 1 Chairman’s Sprint Prize on April 28.
Ho said it was too early to comment on Classique Legend’s long-term future or speculation that the horse will return to the Randwick stables of maestro Les Bridge.
But Ho did confirm that the “Grey Flash” will be given every chance to defend his title in The Everest at Royal Randwick later this year.
Classique Legend had just finished another impressive track gallop when it was noticed the sprinter had a trickle of blood coming out of his nostril.
“It was a very minor incident after a strong gallop,’’ Ho said.
“Classique Legend went back off the track and was coughing a little and only a little bit of blood came out.
“So, he won’t be racing in the Group 1 race in late April and whether the horse returns to Australia is something I need to discuss with (Hong Kong trainer) Caspar Fownes.
“All I can tell you is that I want the horse to be in Sydney for the Everest in October.’’
Ho described Classique Legend as his “once in a lifetime horse”.
“My consideration will be based on what is best for Classique Legend,’’ Ho said.
Classique Legend will likely return to trainer Les Bridge and be aimed at back-to-back Everests. Picture: getty ImagesSource:Getty Images
Classique Legend incurred an automatic three-month ban from racing which effectively rules the gelding out of competing for the rest of the Hong Kong racing season.
Fownes was quoted in the Hong Kong media that Classique Legend had been “ready to rock and roll – he was only getting better and better.’’
“He was absolutely flying, we got him to where we wanted to get him and then he comes back, he coughs a couple of times and there is a little trickle of blood and I have to call it unfortunately,” Fownes said.
“We were getting him where we wanted to get him and Zac (Purton) was very happy with the him.’’
Fownes felt the “right thing to do” was to send Classique Legend back to Bridge at Randwick.
“He’s just finding it hard in this environment to really cope. We’ve done everything we can,’’ he said.
“The horse is intact, he’s going to be fine, he’ll go back to Australia and they’ll give him back to Mr Bridge and god-willing they can win the Everest again.
“I think that’s the right way to go. Bon was very good, obviously saddened by what’s happened but he’s taken the news as well as you can take it.
“We’ll basically just let him relax and chill out and then the next flight we can get him on is at the end of May. So we’ll get him on that and it will give Mr Bridge enough time to prepare him for the big race.”
Originally published asBleed ends Classique Legend’s Hong Kong assault
Source: Read Full Article