Categories
Soccer

The Nevilles quiz: How well do you know Gary, Phil and Tracey?

They’ve been around English sport for almost three decades, but our quiz will tell you how well you really know the Neville siblings…

Manchester United, Everton, Valencia and England Women – plus Sky Sports, of course – the Neville brothers have been a mainstay in the footballing world since the Class of ’92.

They joined sister Tracey, former head coach and player with England’s netball team, for a special Off Script which you can watch here – but first, give our quiz a go and see how much you know about one of English sport’s most famous families!

  • Who is your Premier League side’s MVP?
  • Phil Neville: England Women need to ‘take risks’
  • Transfer Centre LIVE!
  • Football Gossip column

Source: Read Full Article

Categories
Tennis

Andy Murray and wife Kim lay down the 100 volley challenge

Andy Murray and his wife Kim lay down the 100 volley challenge – will Roger Federer and his wife Mirka be next?

Murray has been active on social media with his latest tweet asking all players and fans to take up the 100 volley partner challenge.

He said: “A challenge to all tennis players and fans… The 100 volley challenge. There was no bickering during the filming of the video, although I think the last volley was aimed at my head… I can’t be the only one that wants to see Rog and Mirka hitting a few balls together..”

Source: Read Full Article

Categories
MLB

Yankees legend Gehrig’s bat auctioned for $1M

  • ESPN staff writer
  • Joined ESPN in 2011
  • Graduated from Central Michigan

A bat used by New York Yankees legend Lou Gehrig that dated back to 1924 was sold for $1,025,000 by Heritage Auctions in Dallas this past week.

The auction house initially had the item up for auction in the February lot with a $950,000 reserve.

The bat did not meet the reserve, but Director of Sports Auctions at Heritage, Chris Ivy, says a private buyer came in after the auction to purchase the item.

“We had been discussing the bat with (the buyer) over several conversations the last couple weeks,” Ivy said. “He decided to pull the trigger last week and make the purchase.”

The bat had traded hands privately before this sale, but had never been sold publicly or at auction.

Ivy says this bat is the most significant Gehrig bat in the hobby because it is the bat Gehrig sent back to Hillerich & Bradsby, who made Louisville Slugger bats, when he joined the Yankees in 1924. Gehrig sent it back to the company to use it as a model to make any other bats the company produced for him.

“He sent this one back and said, ‘like the specs, I like the length, I like this weight and I like how this bat was created in the factory,'” Ivy said. “So he sent it back, which is when they dated it on April 22, 1925 and said this is the bat I want you to use to create my future bats.”

The million dollars plus that the bat was able to sell for makes it rare in itself as Ivy says only a handful of sports items can fetch that price. The bat Babe Ruth used to hit his first home run at Yankee Stadium sold in 2004 for $1.3 million and a game worn Gehrig jersey in the February lot at Heritage Auctions sold for $870,000.

“We actually sold a 1937 Lou Gehrig jersey in a different auction. It was worn multiple games,” Ivy said. “Typically in that time, they would only wear four jerseys for an entire season; two home and two road jerseys and they would alternate. We sold that in August of last year for $2.58 million.”

As far as Gehrig bats go, Ivy says the most expensive bat the auction house had sold from the former great had been in the $400,000 range. This one eclipsing that mark made noise throughout the industry and set a new mark for valuable baseball memorabilia.

Source: Read Full Article

Categories
Fighting

Anthony Joshua vs Tyson Fury? Deontay Wilder has ‘not communicated’ willingness to waive right to a rematch

Tyson Fury’s camp have “not heard” Deontay Wilder would step aside to allow an undisputed championship fight against Anthony Joshua.

IBF, WBA and WBO heavyweight champion Joshua would be “extremely interested” in facing the new WBC holder Fury, according to his promoter Eddie Hearn, “if Wilder is “willing to take that step-aside money”.

But Wilder is fully committed to a third fight with Fury, according to the Brit’s US-based promoters Top Rank.

Asked if a deal could be struck with Wilder to waive his right, Top Rank president Todd DuBoef exclusively told Sky Sports: “I have not personally had any conversations about that. It is not on my radar.

“I am working with Wilder’s representatives on coming up with new potential dates in late-summer or early-fall for the Fury fight. We are speaking about potential venues too.

“That fight breaking up as a result of [Joshua vs Fury] fight? I have not been privy to any conversations about that. I have not heard that they are willing to step aside. Nobody has communicated that.”

Fury dismantled Wilder in a one-sided second fight in February, 14 months after they drew their first meeting.

The trilogy, which Wilder is entitled to, has been postponed due to coronavirus and is now targeted for October.

Joshua will meanwhile defend his belts against Kubrat Pulev with a date still being finalised.

“We are contractually obligated to Wilder at this point. Pulev and Joshua are contracted,” DuBoef said.

“There is too much uncertainty across the board, with everything, to speculate on [Joshua vs Fury] happening. In a perfect world without this virus then I could possibly see a path [to Joshua vs Fury] but right now I don’t see it.

THE NIGHT FURY LOST?🤔

John McDermott claims he beat @Tyson_Fury in their first fight in 2009… do you agree?

📖Read the full story: https://t.co/DeMX1UCgqZ
📺Watch the full fight: https://t.co/n4kXK7LWO5 pic.twitter.com/RW1NfAy3aQ

“We are obligated to the Wilder camp and we are concentrating on that.

“It is so cloudy even with two matches but to make a third match? That’s even cloudier. It’s really hard to see through the clutter to see [Joshua vs Fury].”

The ongoing pandemic could disrupt the traditional locations and markets for major boxing, DuBoef believes.

“Does the UK or the US recover quicker? In the US will the hotspots like New York or California recover? What parts of the world will this pandemic be more under control?

“This is all connected to the global healing which will dictate the locations that we all do events in.

“The wheels are in motion [for Fury and Wilder’s third fight], we’ve put our flag in the ground for a date hoping that between now and then, the dust will have settled and we are all working to a system that is tested and proved.

“We have to be nimble and flexible to see how this plays out because there is a lot of uncertainty.

“The new normal will be established eventually, everybody is champing at the bit.”

🇮🇹 "What was he good at? You can't put your finger on anything…" 🇮🇹

But @ClementeRusso handed Olympic heartbreak to @BronzeBomber

How?

Joshua’s promoter Hearn had previously told Sky Sports: “The situation is a little bit out of our hands in that, if [Fury’s promoter] Bob Arum and [Wilder’s adviser] Al Haymon can talk and make Wilder wait a little bit, we would absolutely love to go into that fight next.

“A lot of it depends on Wilder. If he’s willing to take that step-aside money. That’s a conversation to be had with Bob Arum and Al Haymon to see if that’s even possible.

“If it was possible and there was a way to make Pulev wait, which I think is probably an easier job, then for sure, I think Joshua would be extremely interested in moving straight into the Fury fight. I think in an ideal world, we have that fight next.

“It’s always been the case, but if we can fight Pulev in July, we’d love to fight Fury in November, December. At the same time, I think there’s so much uncertainty at the moment, this is the kind of situation that might make people say – ‘I think now is the time.’

“Wouldn’t it be great to bounce back to our sport with a fight like that secured, cemented. I can’t tell you there’s been conversations about it, but it’s definitely something that I’ve thought about and if Mr Arum can come back to us and say, ‘I’ve spoken to Deontay Wilder and yes, there is a deal to be done, or let them work that out, and let’s talk.’

Source: Read Full Article

Categories
Soccer

Alternative Premier League Team of the Season: Tackling XI

On Sky Sports this week, we are discussing the Premier League team of the season – but who would make it into alternative XIs based on certain stats? Today we are looking at the best Tackling XI…

As with each of these alternative XIs, a 4-3-3 formation will be used and players included must have played at least 50 per cent of the season so far.

Download the team of the season podcast on: Spotify | Apple | Castbox | Spreaker

  • Alternative TOTS: Running XI
  • Pick your Premier League team of the season
  • Your PL player of the season revealed
  • Your Premier League club’s latest news

Defence

As a position, many of this season’s most persistent tacklers in the Premier League have been right-backs, and it’s Everton’s Djibril Sidibe, who averages the most per 90 minutes of any defender.

Opposite the France international is Wolves’ Jonny, who has recorded the most of any left-back, and both full-backs slot in outside a centre-back pairing of Jonny’s team-mate Willy Boly and Newcastle’s Fabian Schar.

In goal, a grand total of 3 tackles is enough to install Aston Villa’s Tom Heaton as this side’s best option.

Midfield

In midfield comes the Premier League’s king of this category – Leicester’s Wilfried Ndidi. Not only is his 4.4 tackles per 90 minutes the best return of any player this season, but it’s considerably higher than the next best return by a midfielder, Southampton’s Oriol Romeu (3.2 per 90 mins), who accompanies him.

The final spot is then taken by West Ham and England’s Declan Rice, in an especially unaccommodating trio.

Attack

Up front is David McGoldrick – yet to score this season but contributing in plenty of other ways for his high-flying Sheffield United side.

Source: Read Full Article

Categories
Soccer

Coronavirus: Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher debate football’s response

Watch Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher as they join Geoff Shreeves for a live debate on football’s response to the coronavirus outbreak.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=qnVxoFGNp4M%3Ffeature%3Doembed
Source: Read Full Article

Categories
Golf

Open Championship canceled due to coronavirus

  • Senior golf writer for ESPN.com
  • Covered golf for more than 20 years
  • Earned Evans Scholarship to attend Indiana University

The 149th Open Championship, scheduled for July 16-19, was canceled Monday due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The R&A confirmed the decision and said the tournament, which was to be played at Royal St. George’s in Sandwich, England, will move to that location in 2021. Further details were to be released.

“I can assure everyone that we explored every option for playing The Open this year but it is not going to be possible,” said R&A chief executive Martin Slumbers.

That means the 150th celebration for the Old Course in St. Andrews, Scotland will be moved to 2022. Royal Liverpool, in Hoylake, England, already scheduled for 2022, will move to another year.

An announcement on the status of the PGA Championship, U.S. Open, Masters, Ryder Cup and PGA Tour scheduled is coming later Monday. The events are expected to be rescheduled, with the Ryder Cup maintaining its late September date — all based on clearance from medical officials.

The Open joins a long list of sporting events and golf tournaments that have either been postponed or canceled.

The PGA Tour has already canceled or postponed nine events with tournaments in late May now in danger of facing a similar fate.

The PGA Championship, scheduled for next month in San Francisco, is expected to announce that it is postponing its tournament until August. The Masters, which was to take place this week, is postponing to a likely November date and the U.S. Open at Winged Foot in June is expected to also be postponed until September.

Source: Read Full Article

Categories
Soccer

Sheffield United 2019/20: Five stats you didn’t know

From the impact subs to the record among the best in Europe, we pick out five stats you may not have known about Sheffield United’s 2019/20 season.

  • Who’s your Sheff Utd player of the season?
  • Sheff Utd’s PL season so far – all the match highlights

Road trip rewards

Only Liverpool (1) have lost fewer Premier League away games than Sheffield United’s two this season. In fact, Jurgen Klopp’s Reds are joined only by Serie A side Atalanta (also 1) when it comes to the sides across Europe’s top five leagues to have been beaten on the road fewer times than the Blades so far this campaign.

Keeping it clean

Only Liverpool and Burnley have kept more clean sheets than Sheffield United’s 10 – Manchester City and Leicester have also recorded 10 – but the Blades’ impressively miserly record actually stretches back further. Since the start of last season, they have kept 31 league clean sheets – pipped only by Liverpool (33) and Leeds (32).

Same again

Blades boss Chris Wilder has made only 31 changes to his starting XI in the Premier League this season – fewer than any other side. Jack O’Connell, Enda Stevens, George Baldock, Chris Basham and Oliver Norwood have started all 27 Premier League games, while O’Connell and Baldock have played every minute.

Impact subs

When Wilder has made changes, they have frequently paid off – six goals have been scored by Sheffield United substitutes. That’s a league-high haul, along with Manchester City.

Strike it unlucky

All 38 of Oli McBurnie’s shots have been inside the penalty area – the most by any player that hasn’t had a single shot from outside the box. McBurnie has scored four league goals so far – but has undershot his expected goals of 6.43.

Source: Read Full Article

Categories
Soccer

Matt Le Tissier urges Premier League clubs to reconsider furloughing non-playing staff

Matt Le Tissier says Premier League clubs should reconsider furloughing non-playing staff and says it is “damaging” to football.

Five Premier League clubs have announced they will place some non-playing staff on furlough leave which includes last year’s Champions League finalists Liverpool and Tottenham.

The move by Liverpool was criticised by former players Jamie Carragher and Dietmar Hamann.

Le Tissier says the clubs are taking advantage of a scheme that was not meant for them.

He told Sky Sports News: “The (football’s) image has been damaged a little bit. I think it’s trying to be repaired and what will happen going forward will repair it. I don’t think when you see huge clubs furloughing their staff sends out the right image.

“I find it a little bit strange if I am honest. I think it’s taking advantage of a situation put in place by a government in good faith and for businesses that are going to struggle with this.

“For businesses who are making quite big profits, it is difficult to understand why they would do that.

“I think they are taking advantage of a situation. They are looking at it from a purely business perspective. Sometimes things happen in the world that goes beyond business and beyond money. That needs to be looked at again and this situation needs to be looked at from a moral point of view.”

Source: Read Full Article

Categories
Soccer

What’s your favourite Premier League goal of all time?

With much of the country housebound, we thought it fun to come up with a list of the greatest Premier League goals – and we want you to choose your favourite!

There have been so many breathtaking efforts since the league’s inception in 1992 and we kick off our selection with these strikes – so tell us the standout by voting at the bottom of the page.

Source: Read Full Article